Sunday, November 13, 2011

X2 P. 113

Words I just can't spell!
1. Embarrassing (ugh, gets me every time)
2. Then there are some words that you just never know if you should combine the words or not, such as a lot and cannot.
3. I never knew how to spell definitely until my 9th grade comm. gave us a way to remember it
4. License - I always manage to add an extra "s" somewhere (same with exercise).
5. Recommend-I get confused on how many c's and m's to add.

     I gave up on spell check a long time ago because I find it hurts me more than helps. As far as grammar it underlines it in blue or green, and then when I right click the suggestions make even less sense! I like it though when if you spell a word incorrectly, but only by a letter or two it auto corrects it for you. We have gotten so used to spell check doing the work for us, that I'm expecting those little colorful squiggly lines to appear under some of my words (even though this program doesn't have spell check. Spell check is a helpful tool, as long as you pay attention to what you're correcting the word to and don't get fooled easily.
    If we could spell as we pleased, then many word's meanings would be lost. Often, there are words that are pronounced the same, but written differently because they have a different meaning. If we could spell these words however we wanted, then how is one to know what they are trying to say? You never know, it may be taken as an insult rather than a compliment, or the other way around. For example, you may not want to mix around "axe" and "acts," or "son" and "sun" in the sentence "wow, the sun looks really hot today", and be mistaken for "son" (especially if you're standing by someone's mother).
    So many stores are spelled incorrectly, such as Kwik Trip and (the one that bothered me as a kid)...Kit Kat. These play on words simply stand out to the consumer. You see so many words every day, and so the ones spelled incorrectly always seem to remain in your brain at the end of the day, which helps out the companies.

No comments: